[New page] 
[History Page]
[Biographies Pg.]

1919 Biographies


History of Buffalo and Pepin Counties, 1919

Fuller, Stephen G.   Harvey, Alexander  Howard, Leigh H.   Ide, Daniel B.  Le Gore, John  McKay, J.W.  Meyers, E.  Waste, Charles  Waste, Charles C.  Waste, Charles George
 

Fuller, Stephen G.
Fuller, Stephen G., Proprietor of Fuller Hotel at Mondovi, was born in Vermont, March 1, 1832; came to Wisconsin in June 1861, to Buffalo County, and settled in town of Gilmanton and engaged at farming. In 1871 he rented his farm and moved to the village of Alma, where he built a hotel which was called the Fuller House. In 1874, he moved to Minneapolis, Minn., and kept a boarding-house and restaurant for five years, then returned to Alma and kept the Union House a while, and then moved to Independence, Trempealeau Co. In 1879, he moved to Mondovi into his present house. He was married in Vermont to Miss Sarah E. Woodward, in 1854; she being also a native of Vermont; by whom he has five children ---Ella E. (now Mrs. E.L. Ainsworth), Ellsworth D., Addie E., Bertha V., and Frederick L. He is the son of Lenard and Sally Fuller. His father died in Vermont, May 1, 1860, at the age of sixty-one years. His mother was born in 1806 and is still living with him. He is a member of The Knights of Pythias, Minneapolis Lodge No. 1, also the A.O.U.W., Mondovi Lodge No. 23.    back to top
Harvey, Alexander
Harvey, Alexander, One of the notable settlers in Buffalo county, who came here in 1856, was born at Grand Pre, Nova Scotia, Nov. 22, 1841. In 1848 the family came to Dodge county, Wisconsin, and in 1856 to Buffalo county, where they settled on the farm in Mondovi township now occupied by James Harvey. In August, 1862, Alexander enlisted in his country's service in Company G, of the 25th regiment of Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, which first saw service in the Indian massacre at New Ulm, Minn., then went south, in January, following, joining Sherman's Army, marching with him on his famous march to the sea, and on to Washington , where Mr. Harvey was honorably discharged at the close of the war, in 1865. He then returned to his parents' home here, and on Feb. 23, 1866, was married at Red Cedar Falls to Miss Laura Hicks, formerly of Canada. The year after his marriage he bought the farm north of town which William Hilker now resides, and there he and his family lived until 1890, when they moved into Mondovi, where, with the exception of a short time spent in Milwaukee, her resided until his death. Not less than 500 people attended his funeral, which was held at the M.E. church, on Sunday afternoon, and delegations from the G.A.R. and W.R.C. were present in a body. Escorted by the members of the G.A.R. post, to which he belonged, his remains were taken to Oak Park cemetery , where they were laid away with the impressive funeral service. Mr. Harvey united with M.E. church in 1869, and was always an ernest and consistent member. His advice in church matters was eagerly sought and closely followed. A charter member of the local G.A.R. post, he was one of its most influential members, and about a month before his death, he was instrumental in having new flags placed on the 32 graves of comrades, in the cemetery. In the community he was highly regarded, and always stood for what was best and most elevating in civic matters. In his home he was reverently regarded in an almost patriarchal manner, and his wise counsel was often solicited by his children, who were glad to be thus guided. In the community his loss was deeply felt, and his example and influence will long be held in grateful remembrance. Mr. Harvey was survived by his widow, and his five children, namely: Mrs. Eunice Brown, of Mondovi; Elmer, of Mott, N.D.; Mrs. Ella Howard, of Mondovi; Mrs. Edna Brown of Danby, Vt., and John, of Schenectady, N.Y. He also has a number of grandchildren, and the following brothers and sisters who survived him: Joseph, Alfred and James Harvey, Mrs. M.B. Gibson, Mrs. D. Gibson and Mrs. D. Jennings. Many years ago an Alma paper printed an item in regard to the Harvey Brothers of Mondovi, showing them to be probably the heaviest family of boys in this region, if not in the state. Their average height was 6 feet 2 1-6 inches, and their average weight, 202 pounds. Alexander was then 6 feet 3 1/2 inches in height and weighed 230 pounds, being with one exception - William - the heaviest of the brothers.    back to top
Howard, Leigh H.
Howard, Leigh H., One of the leading men of Mondovi, manager of the Mondovi Mercantile Company, of which he is one of the owners, was born in Gilmanton, Buffalo county, Aug.6, 1870, son of Joseph Wales and Irene (Martin) Howard. He was educated in the common school of Gilmanton, whcih he attended until about age 17 years. His vacations were spent in working in his father's store, in Gilmanton village, and in which, when his schooling was finished, he became a regular clerk. He was occupied until the age of 22, and then, in 1892, he engaged in the restaurant business for himself in Mondovi, conducting the same until 1894. He then sold, and bought the Dillon & Pace general merchandise stock in Mondovi, becoming a partner with Mr. Pace, the firm being known as Howard and Pace. After continuing in the business until 1904, Mr. Howard sold out his interest to a Mr. McGregor, but continued as manager for the firm until Oct. 26, 1906, when, with Frank Schaettle, he bought the business of the Mondovi Mercantile Co., of which he is now the head and general manager. In politics he is independent of the two leading parties, being a strict Prohibitionist. Fraternally he belongs to the Masons, Woodmen and Beavers, having been a member of the Masonic Blue Lodge at Mondovi (No. 252) for the last 20 years, and master of the lodge in 1914 and 1915. He also belongs to Eastern Star Lodge, No. 89, of Mondovi, which he has served as a patron for some years. For the past 20 years he has been a member of the Congregational Church at Mondovi, has serveda s member of its board of trustees for some years, and as superintendent fo rthe Sunday school for the last 15 years. On March 25, 1891, Mr. Howard was untied in marriage with Ella, daughter of Alexander and Laura (Hicks) Harvey, of Mondovi, this county. Of this union four children have been born: Vera W., Lynn, Lyle and Lorn. Vera W., born Oct. 27, 1892, was graduated in the domestic science course at Stout Manual Training Institute at Menomonie, Wis. She taught three years in the Ripon high school, and is now a teacher in the public schools of Shawano, Wis. Lynn, born June 10, 1894, attended Ripon College for three years, and was a student for one year in the Indiana University at Bloomington, Ind. He is now in the United States service, being connected with the Quartermasters' Department. Lyle, born Dec. 11, 1896, was graduated from Mondovi High School, attended Indiana University for one year, and is now in the S.A.T.C. at Bloomington, Ind., University. Both as a businessman and citizen, Mr. Howard takes a high place in the community in which he resides. His identification with the prohibition movement marks him as a man alive to the great moral questions of the day and eager to advance the general progress of humanity, while in local affairs he also takes a warm interest, gladly lending his aid and influence to any worthy cause.    back to top
Ide, Daniel B.
Ide, Daniel B.of the firm of Ide & Darling, general merchants, Mondovi, was born in Vermont, Dec. 16, 1832, and came to Wisconsin with his parents in 1847, locating at Fox Lake. In the fall of 1858 he opened the first store in the town of Naples in company with L.West, in a small building near where the Strong Hotel now stands, on Main street. Mr. Ide has been School Clerk for one term, and was a liberal contributor to Baptist Church which was erected in 1873. He was married in 1860 to Miss Charlotte A.Waste, daughter of Charles Wast, one of the early settlers in the town of Naples. They have three children  one son and two daughters.    back to top
Le Gore, John
One of the pioneer settlers of Mondovi Township, now deceased, was born in New York State, but came to Wisconsin in 1845 and to Buffalo County in 1856. In 1844 he had married Pauline Farrington and together they took up pioneer life in Mondovi Township where they subsequently made a comfortable home. Mr. Le Gore held various local offices during his residence here, and in tghe early days, when privation was the common lot and the pioneers often shared neccesities with each other, his home humble though it was, always had the latchstring out, and good cheer and hearty hospitality were afforded every visitor whethr friend or stranger. While the Civil War was in progress, Mr. Le Gore enlisted in Company G, 25th Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers, and served until discharged for disability. For a number of years before his death, Mr. Le Gore, affectionately known as "Uncle John," was in poor health, but was always kind hearted, generous and hospitable. He and his wife had five children, one of whom, Frances, now the widow of Ezra H. Myers, was the first white girl born in Mondovi township. Another member of the Le Gore family, Lorenzo Dow Le Gore, an officer in the state's prison at Waupon, and a man of fine personal character, is now deceased.   back to top
McKay, J.W.
McKay, J.W. District Attorney, Mondovi, was born in Highland Co., Ohio, Feb 27, 1828. In 1852, he removed to Knox Co., Ill., where he lived three years, and engaged in farming. He then removed again to Trempealeau County, and remained until August, 1857, when he went to Hastings, Minn, with his family, with the expectation of getting work at his trade, whether building or wagon-making. He was unsuccessful, and finally came to Alma, arriving in the night, with only fifty cents in money, and no friends or acquaintances, with the exception of Mr. Somerfield. After a number of hardships, such as are peculiar to a pioneer life, he obtained work and became prosperous. About the beginning of the Rebellion he enlisted, Aug. 15, 1862, on Co. G., 25th Wis. Vol., as a private, and served until June 7, 1865, when he was honorably discharged as a commissioned officer. He returned to Buffalo County and engaged in building wagons. He sold his business in 1869 and went to Clark County and went into lumbering. He made several changes from there, and in 1877, he returned to this county and located in Mondovi and began the practice of law. He has held different offices; for many years has been Justice of the Peace, and in 1877 he was elected as Prosecuting Attorney, and in 1879 he was re-elected. He has been twice married, first to Isabella Pierce, a native of Fayette Co., Ohio; she died in April, 1855. They had two children, only one of whom is still living, Emily Jane. He married for his second wife, Miss Emily Wood, a native of Cataraugua Co., N.Y. They have four children  Nellie Melissa, Louisa Belle, John William and Floyd.    back to top
Meyers, E.
Meyers, Ezra H. ,   machine and blacksmith shop, was born in Pennsylvania, June 29, 1851, and in 1853 came with his parents to Dane County, where they resided until 1868, at that time moving to Buffalo County on a farm. Here the subject of this sketch remained until 1870, when he commenced to work at his trade in Mondovi. He lived there one year and then engaged with N.R. Fisher & Co., where he remained six years. In September of 1880 he commenced his present business and employs two men, and is now making preparations to add a wagon shop to his other business. He was married in 1875, to Miss Frances Le Gore, daughter of John Le Gore, she being the first white female child born in the town of Naples, on the 20th of March, 1857. They have one son; John F. Mr. Meyers is a member of the A.O.U.W., Mondovi Lodge No. 23.    back to top
Waste, Charles
Waste, Charles, One of the pioneer settlers in Mondovi township, Buffalo county, for whom Waste Valley was named, was a native of New England, having been born in Wilmington, Vermont, March 25, 1815, son of Charles and Charlotte (Lawton) Waste. According to the genealogical records, or traditions, of the Waste family, it is descended from the Wasteney family of Derbyshire, England, the name having been shortened to Waste by the first of its representative in America, Bezalel and James Waste, who, on account of religious persecution, emigrated to the American colonies, settling in New Hampshire or Vermont about the year 1670. Charles Waste, a son of one of these brothers, born about 1715, died at New Bedford, Mass., in July, 1765. His wife, whose maiden name was Debra Williamson, died at Wilmington, Vt., 1790. They were the parents of Eli, born June 12, 1746, who died at Wilmington, Vt., Sept. 1, 1833. Eli married Jemima Babcock, who was born Nov. 7, 1747, and died Feb.6, 1821. Their son, Charles, the second of the name in the direct line of descent, and father of the subject of this sketch, was born at Wilmington, Vt., Nov. 28, 1785. He married Charlotte Lawton, who was born in the same town, Nov. 28, 1784, and who was therefore just one year older than himself. Her family, like his own, had and long genealogical record, they being descendants of the Lawtons whose names are found in the "Doomsday Book", of William the Conquerer, A.D. (1025-1087). The home of the family, or of the leading branch of it, known as Lawton Manor, is located near Stoke, on the river Trent, England, and members of the family, classed amoung the higher gentry, have intermarried with nobility, being thus connected with the earls of Manchester and Halifax. Many of the male representatives have served in the British Parliment. Certain members of a younger branch came to America in early colonial days and settled here. During the Revolutionary period some oth their descendents took the side of the crown and on the close of the war, fled to Canada, with most of the other New York and New England Loyalists, while others espoused the side of the colonists and fought for American independence. Among the latter was Israel Lawton, the father of Mrs. Charlotte Waste, who served under Gen. Israel Putman, as sergeant, and afterwards represented his district in General Assembly of Vermaont. Chalres Waste, the direct subject of this sketch, was married in Greenfield, N.Y., March 16, 1836, to Sarah B. Taylor. For a number of years thereafter they continued to reside in the East. Indeed, at the time of their marriage the great Northwest was to the general populationof the country practilly an unknown territory. Early in the fifties, howeverthe discovery of gold in California gave a great stimulus to westward emigration, and many adventurers from the eastern and middle states, besides thousands from other parts of the world, braved the dangers and hardships of the long journey to seek their forntunes in the Golden State of the Pacific Coast. Others, perhaps the wiser part, sought to establish homes in the great Northwestern states, as yet largley unsettled. Among the latter were Charles and Sarah Waste, who with their children, in 1855, said farwell to their eastern home and set out for Illinois, locating in Mendota, La Salle county, where they remained about two years. Then, in 1857, they resumed their migration, with an ox team, for Buffalo county, Wisconsin, and on arriving here settled on land in section 24, Mondovi township, two and a half miles south of the present city of Mondovi. The land and the surrounding country were wild and many hardships incidental to pioneer life had to be endured, supplies being hauled from La Crosse and Sparta. Often the family was reduced in provisions to corn and buckwheat, ground in a coffee-mil, or pounded into coarse flour in a mortar. On Nov. 11, 1863, Mrs. Sarah B. Waste died leaving three children: Charlotte A., born Feb.6, 1838; Hannah A., born Aug. 4,1842, and George Charles, born Oct. 17, 1852, who is given special mention elswhere. Charlotte A. became the wife of Daniel B. Ide, a pioneer, and for many years a leading merchant of Mondovi, who later moved to Spokane, Wash. She died at St. Paul, Minn., March 7, 1907. Hannah A. first married Thomas Fisher and secondly M.M. Bond. She died Dec. 30, 1909. After remaining a widower for nearly 15 months, Charles Waste married for his second wife, on March 26, 1865, Eunice M. Goff, of Eau Claire county, Wisconsin. By her he had two children: Francis Benjamin, born April 10, 1867, and Eunice Cecilia, born March 31, 1869, who married William H. Armour. For some 25 years after his second marriage, Mr. Waste continued to reside on his farm in Waste Valley, during which time he made considerable improvements on it, and there his death occured, Sept. 9, 1890. He was a man widely known throughout this part of the county, and highly respected, being a good type of the western pioneer and a useful and reliable citizen. His wife, Eunice M. Waste, died Oct. 16, 1895, aged 66 years.   back to top
Waste, Charles C.
Waste, Charles C., manager of Wastedale farm in Section 24, Mondovi township, Buffalo County, was born on this farm, Feb. 5, 1878, son of George Charles and Elmira (Bond) Waste. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, and in his boyhood assisted his father, becoming manager of the farm two years after the father's death when he was only 14 years of age. The difficult task which fell to him at so early an age, has been successfully performed,and in association with his mother he has conducted the place. Together they built a comfortable frame house of nine rooms, also hay barracks, double corn cribs, poultry houses and machine shed. and paid off all indebtedness. On June 21, 1914, a cyclone destroyed all the barns and outbuildings and badly damaged the house. Mr. Waste has since repaired the house, built a frame barn 20 by 40 feet, with hip roof, and lean-to, 16 by 40; a hog house, 16 by 24, a grainery and machine shed combined, 20 by 32, a corn crib, 18 by 32, and a poultry house, 14 by 50 feet. All the buildings and fencing are in first class condition. Mr. Waste is engaged in intensive farming, and raises Duroc-Jersey swine, Single Comb White Leghorns, and other pure-bred poultry. He also makes a specialty of fire dried field corn, both for the local and outside trade, and is quite extensively engaged in the raising of small fruits. He is doing a profitable business and takes rank amoung the prosperous farmers of the township.    back to top
Waste, Charles George
Waste, Charles George, founder of one of the thriving farms of Mondovi township, Buffalo county, but now deceased, was born at Greenfield, Saratoga county, N.Y., Oct. 17, 1852, son of Charles and Sarah B. (Taylor) Waste. He was a child of four or five years when his parents settled in Mondovi township, this county. When a little older, he attended, for a brief period, the log schoolhouse of his district, located in what is now the Mrs. Ann Heth Farm, but was obliged to become industrially active at an early age, driving an ox team when only ten years old, and later and until his marriage, he was engaged in assisting his father. His wife, to whom he was united Dec. 1, 1876, was Elmira, daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Hessler) Bond, her parents being natives of Pennsylvania. In 1872 George Charles Waste had bought 60 acres of land, adjoining the old homestead, in section 24, which was now partly improved, there being a frame house and barn on it, and here he and his wife began domestic life. Later, he bought 25 acres more adjoining on the North and West, thus having a farm of 85 acres. Of this land he cleared and developed 60 acres, residing on it until his death, which occured Sept. 8, 1890. His remains now repose in Oak Park Cemetery, Mondovi. He was a man highly esteemed, and was one of the founders of the Mondovi Baptist Church, of which he was an active and earnest member, together with his family. After his death, his widow, Mrs. Elmira Waste, continued the operation of the farm, which she still owns. Two years later, however, she turned over its management to her son, Charles C., who at the age of 14 years, assumed the burden, and in association wit her is operating it on a profitable basis. On her mother's side Mrs. Waste comes of good colonial stock. Her parents, Samuel and Catherine (Hessler) Bond, were married in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, in 1838, and the father died in that county in 1862. Her great grandfather, Samuel Bond, was born near Mt. Snowden, Wales, and with several sons, including Lewis, came to America about 1765, and settled in Pennsylvania. He was killed in that state by Indians at a place now known as Broadhead. Her great grandmother, Hessler, with three sons, one of them Mrs. Waste's grandfather, was captured by the Indians in the Wyoming massacre, in July, 1778, the latter being held in captivity from babyhood until he was seven years old. One of the sons was killed before his mother's eyes, and the third was not heard of again for over 50 years. An Uncle of Mrs. Waste's mother, on the paternal side, served in the Mexican War, and planted the American Flag on the walls of the City of Mexico. The mother, above mentioned, affectionately known as "Grandma Bond"' was a most amiable lady, beloved by all who knew her, and for many years a faithful and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.    back to top



Copyright ©2001-2010 Lou Anne/Mondovi Area Historical Society