[Back to History Page]
[Biographies Pg.]

1881 Biographies


History of Northern Wisconsin The Western Historical Company
A.T. Andreas, Proprietor 1881

Index of Biographies

Bump, Gile O.  Fuller, Stephen G.   Ide, Daniel B.  McKay, J.W.  Meyers, E.
 

Bump, Gile O.
Bump, Gile O.,wagon-maker, Mondovi, was born in Washington Do., N.Y., 0on the 5th of September, 1839, and came with his parents to Wisconsin in 1856, locating in the town of Naples. His step-father, Robert Nelson, built the first frame house in this town, and was also the first Postmaster, holding that position for fifteen years. He died in 1874. The subject of this sketch remained at home on the farm until August of 1862, when he enlisted in the 25th Wisconsin, Co. G. Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He had three brothers who were also in the war, two of them being in the same company and regiment with himself, and who served until the war closed. Gile O. was with Sherman on his march to the sea and was also in a good many other important engagements. After the war, he returned home and learned the trade of wagon making, and has followed that ever since. He is a member of the A.O.U.W., Mondovi Lodge, No. 23, and the Good Templars, being a temperance man in every sense of the word. He married in the spring of 1870, to Miss Minnie Morse, daughter of Rev. B.F. Morse, of Mondovi. Their family consists of three sons  Clayton C., Benjamin F., and Herbert Lee.    back to top
Fuller, Stephen G.
Fuller, Stephen G., Proprietor of Fuller Hotel at Mondovi, was born in Vermont, March 1, 1832; came to Wisconsin in June 1861, to Buffalo County, and settled in town of Gilmanton and engaged at farming. In 1871 he rented his farm and moved to the village of Alma, where he built a hotel which was called the Fuller House. In 1874, he moved to Minneapolis, Minn., and kept a boarding-house and restaurant for five years, then returned to Alma and kept the Union House a while, and then moved to Independence, Trempealeau Co. In 1879, he moved to Mondovi into his present house. He was married in Vermont to Miss Sarah E. Woodward, in 1854; she being also a native of Vermont; by whom he has five children ---Ella E. (now Mrs. E.L. Ainsworth), Ellsworth D., Addie E., Bertha V., and Frederick L. He is the son of Lenard and Sally Fuller. His father died in Vermont, May 1, 1860, at the age of sixty-one years. His mother was born in 1806 and is still living with him. He is a member of The Knights of Pythias, Minneapolis Lodge No. 1, also the A.O.U.W., Mondovi Lodge No. 23.    back to top
Ide, Daniel B.
Ide, Daniel B.of the firm of Ide & Darling, general merchants, Mondovi, was born in Vermont, Dec. 16, 1832, and came to Wisconsin with his parents in 1847, locating at Fox Lake. In the fall of 1858 he opened the first store in the town of Naples in company with L.West, in a small building near where the Strong Hotel now stands, on Main street. Mr. Ide has been School Clerk for one term, and was a liberal contributor to Baptist Church which was erected in 1873. He was married in 1860 to Miss Charlotte A.Wast, daughter of Charles Wast, one of the early settlers in the town of Naples. They have three children  one son and two daughters.    back to top
McKay, J.W.
McKay, J.W. District Attorney, Mondovi, was born in Highland Co., Ohio, Feb 27, 1828. In 1852, he removed to Knox Co., Ill., where he lived three years, and engaged in farming. He then removed again to Trempealeau County, and remained until August, 1857, when he went to Hastings, Minn, with his family, with the expectation of getting work at his trade, whether building or wagon-making. He was unsuccessful, and finally came to Alma, arriving in the night, with only fifty cents in money, and no friends or acquaintances, with the exception of Mr. Somerfield. After a number of hardships, such as are peculiar to a pioneer life, he obtained work and became prosperous. About the beginning of the Rebellion he enlisted, Aug. 15, 1862, on Co. G., 25th Wis. Vol., as a private, and served until June 7, 1865, when he was honorably discharged as a commissioned officer. He returned to Buffalo County and engaged in building wagons. He sold his business in 1869 and went to Clark County and went into lumbering. He made several changes from there, and in 1877, he returned to this county and located in Mondovi and began the practice of law. He has held different offices; for many years has been Justice of the Peace, and in 1877 he was elected as Prosecuting Attorney, and in 1879 he was re-elected. He has been twice married, first to Isabella Pierce, a native of Fayette Co., Ohio; she died in April, 1855. They had two children, only one of whom is still living, Emily Jane. He married for his second wife, Miss Emily Wood, a native of Cataraugua Co., N.Y. They have four children  Nellie Melissa, Louisa Belle, John William and Floyd.    back to top
Meyers, E.
Meyers, Ezra H. ,   machine and blacksmith shop, was born in Pennsylvania, June 29, 1851, and in 1853 came with his parents to Dane County, where they resided until 1868, at that time moving to Buffalo County on a farm. Here the subject of this sketch remained until 1870, when he commenced to work at his trade in Mondovi. He lived there one year and then engaged with N.R. Fisher & Co., where he remained six years. In September of 1880 he commenced his present business and employs two men, and is now making preparations to add a wagon shop to his other business. He was married in 1875, to Miss Frances Le Gore, daughter of John Le Gore, she being the first white female child born in the town of Naples, on the 20th of March, 1857. They have one son; John F. Mr. Meyers is a member of the A.O.U.W., Mondovi Lodge No. 23.    back to top

Copyright ©2001-2009 Lou Anne/Mondovi Area Historical Society